I got a book for Christmas. I know that isn't anything shocking since I love to read, but this is different. The book I got from my mom was "How to have a new teenager in 5 days". Most of the advice in the book is simple, and most of what is in there I have read before. However the way it is presented is a little different.
I am starting the steps that the book gives. Unfortunately, I have managed to make both of the boys upset already this afternoon since they aren't getting what they want today. One of the phrases I like the most from the book is "Keep your wind out of their sails". It takes two to argue and if I don't argue, then I leave them floundering. It's got both my kids off balance right now and they are angry since things aren't going the way they are used to.
Right now Del is sitting on the couch, wrapped up in his blankets, trying to convince me to let him have some of his free time for this block back. He's sitting here telling me "you have to accept that you aren't going to get everything you want". I just threw him off balance again. Oops, I thought I did anyway. Eek, there goes Kate running to the bathroom, trying to pull her pants down at the same time so she can go potty.
My life is insane... Can we tell? Lovely, my parenting is coming back to bite me. Del is sitting here spouting phrases back at me that I can clearly recognize as things I've said over the years. Yikes! This is really gonna suck. Now I have to undo what I have been doing wrong for the last 13 years. Jeez! He's still trying to convince me to let him play this block. He's trying to compromise and anything else he can think of....
This may kill me yet, but I am still going to give it my best shot. He's still trying to justify why he should be playing.... I told him that he could play during the free time block after dinner and hygiene but he his still trying to convince me. Sigh. I think it is going to be a long afternoon and evening.
No comments:
Post a Comment